Last updated on December 2nd, 2022 at 07:57 am
Business opportunities for youth in Kenya are many and range from small to large-scale businesses. As a young person, you should take advantage of the numerous business ideas available out there depending on your interests and preferences.
You can start with something very simple such as selling fruits or vegetables at home but eventually turn it into a successful full-time business that will help support yourself financially without relying solely on people’s donations or handouts from family members.
The good thing about getting into entrepreneurship while young in Kenya is that you have the advantage of time and energy on your side.
And you can afford to take risks that an older person may not be able to do.
What makes a good business idea for youths in Kenya?
Some business opportunities befit the youths more than others. Here is how to evaluate a business idea to see if it is good for you.
a). Flexible hours
The youths are known to have other engagements such as school and social life. A business idea that can be run within their spare time and still make a profit is ideal.
b). Affordable startup costs
The youths cannot always raise large amounts of money for business ventures. A business idea with low startup cost gives them a chance to start without breaking the bank.
c). Unique selling proposition (USP)
Youth-owned businesses should have something unique about them that sets them apart from the competition. This could be innovative products, excellent customer service, or anything else that makes the company stand out.
A business idea that can be easily expanded as the company grows is ideal for youths in Kenya. This will allow them to reinvest their profits back into the business and see it grow over time.
e). Home-based or easily accessible location
A business idea that can be run from home or in an easily accessible location is convenient for youths. This saves on costs such as rent and makes it easier to balance the demands of running a business with other commitments.
There are many business opportunities for youth in Kenya but here we will highlight the 17 best ideas that any Kenyan youth can venture into:
1). Gift Wrapping Services in Kenya
Gift wrapping services can be a great business for youths in Kenya. It is a service in high demand during the holiday season and can be operated from home.
And lucky for you, many online resources offer tips for starting a gift-wrapping business.
When starting this type of business, one of the most important things is to create a strong marketing strategy.
Flyers, social media posts, and email blasts are all great ways to get the word out about your services.
You can also offer discounts to customers who refer friends or family members. Being creative and making your business stand out from the competition is important.
2). Offer Social Media Marketing Services
When you are young, you have a lot of energy and enthusiasm. You are also likely to be very comfortable with technology, which is a plus when it comes to social media marketing. Here are a few tips on how to offer social media marketing services as a youth in Kenya:
- Start by building your own social media profiles. This will help you develop a better understanding of how social media works, and it will also give you some experience in creating and managing online content.
- Offer your services for free or at a discount to start. Many businesses are hesitant to work with someone who is new to the field, so offering your services for free or at a discount can help you gain some clients and build your portfolio.
- Use your creativity and enthusiasm to come up with innovative ideas for social media marketing campaigns.
With this kind of business, you can start making over Ksh 50,000 per month without sweating!
3). Mobile Car Washing
Car wash is another one of the best business opportunities for youth in Kenya.
But am not talking about just any car wash; mobile car wash!
That’s right, starting a mobile car washing business is a great way for young entrepreneurs in Kenya to get their start in the business world.
However, there are some key things to keep in mind when starting this type of business.
First, it is important to understand what’s involved in car washing and detailing.
You will need to know how to clean all the different parts of a car and apply polish and wax.
Another important consideration is insurance.
Be sure to get liability insurance to protect yourself and your business in case of accidents or damage. You will also need coverage for your equipment and vehicles.
Once you’ve got the basics covered, it is time to start marketing your new business. Begin by creating a website or Facebook page and advertise your services online and in local newspapers and magazines.
You can also distribute flyers to local businesses and hand out business cards.
If you are starting a mobile car washing business in Kenya, it is important to offer competitive prices. Many people are willing to pay more for convenience, so be sure your rates reflect that.
You should also ensure your customers know what they’re getting when they hire you by providing them with an estimate before beginning work on their vehicle. This way, there won’t be any surprises later on down the road!
4). Start a YouTube Channel in Kenya
Ah yes! Being a YouTuber!
Creating a YouTube channel in Kenya can be a fun and creative way to share your interests with the world.
You can also make money from your channel by monetizing it. Here are a few tips on how to start a YouTube channel and make money:
- Choose a topic for your channel. This could be anything from gaming to vlogging to fashion.
- Make sure your channel is interesting and engaging. This will help you attract viewers and subscribers.
- Use high-quality videos and equipment. This will help ensure that your videos look good and are easy to watch.
- Add creative thumbnails and titles to your videos. This will help them stand out in search results.
- Monetize your channel by signing up for the Google AdSense program. This will allow you to place ads on your videos and earn money based on views.
Why is YouTube one of the business opportunities for youth in Kenya?
There are Kenyans already earning over 100K per month.
5). Become an Influencer in Kenya
In a world of social media and constant online communication, it is more important than ever to have a voice that people want to listen to. If you have something valuable to say, or if you’re just really good at influencing people, there’s no reason you can’t make money as an influencer.
There are many different ways to make money as an influencer in Kenya. You could start a TikTok account, Instagram, or even Twitter and sell advertising space or products.
You could work with brands as an ambassador or spokesperson. Or you could use your influence to get paid for speaking engagements or consulting work.
No matter what route you choose, there are a few things you need to do to become successful as a social media influencer.
First, you must build up a following of people who trust what you say.
Second, you need to be active and engaging on social media.
Finally, you need to clearly understand your personal brand and how it can help businesses achieve their goals.
If you are ready to grasp one of the best business opportunities for youth in Kenya, and start making money as an influencer, check out this article.
6). Start and Monetize a Blog in Kenya
Blogging is another one of the best business opportunities for youth in Kenya. Through it, you can build a personal brand and even make money while at it.
So you want to start a blog in Kenya? That’s great! A blog is also a great way to share your thoughts and ideas with the world and can also be a great way to make money. But before you start, there are a few things you need to know.
First, you need to decide what topic your blog will be about. This is called your niche. The narrower your niche, the easier it will be to find readership and monetize your blog.
Once you’ve decided on a niche, you must develop content ideas. You can do this by keyword research or simply brainstorming topics that interest you.
Once you have some content ideas, it’s time to start writing! Make sure to write quality content that will engage your readers.
After you’ve written a few posts, it’s time to start promoting your blog. You can share your content on social media or other online platforms.
Finally, once you have built up a loyal following, you can start monetizing your blog through advertising or affiliate marketing programs in Kenya.
7). Try Dropshipping in Kenya
You must have heard about dropshipping; it is one of the best business opportunities for youth in Kenya.
See, dropshipping in itself is a business model which you can use to start and run your own online store with little up-front investment.
When customers place orders in your store, you simply contact the supplier, who will then ship the products directly to your customer’s doorsteps.
Dropshipping is perfect for young entrepreneurs in Kenya who are looking to set up their own businesses without having to invest in inventory or shipping costs.
If you’re interested in starting a dropshipping business in Kenya, here are a few things you need to know:
- Choose the right niche: The first step in starting a successful dropshipping business is choosing the right niche. The best way to do this is by identifying a niche that you’re passionate about and finding products that fit that niche.
- Find a reputable supplier: Once you’ve chosen your niche, it’s time to find a reputable dropshipping supplier. There are many different ways to do this, but the best way is by searching online or attending trade shows related to your niche.
- Create an eCommerce store: The next step is to create an eCommerce store where customers can purchase products from your inventory. You can use platforms like Shopify or WooCommerce to create and host your store easily and cheaply. Be sure to choose a platform that integrates well with your chosen dropshipping supplier(s).
- Drive traffic to your store: The final step is driving traffic to your newly created eCommerce storefront so that customers can start placing orders! You can promote your store through social media, search engine optimization (SEO), pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, or any other number of digital marketing channels.
8). Get into Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is a great way to make some money on the side as a youth in Kenya. It’s also a great way to get started in an online business.
In a nutshell, affiliate marketing is a process where you promote someone else’s product or service and earn a commission when someone you’ve referred buys that product or service.
And there are many affiliate programs out there, so it is important to do your research and find the right one for you.
Once you find a program that you’re interested in, sign up and start promoting!
You can promote the program however you like – through social media, your website, or even word-of-mouth.
The key to affiliate marketing success in Kenya is providing valuable content and building relationships with your followers.
When people trust you and like what you say, they’ll be more likely to buy the products or services you’re promoting.
9). Live-streaming Gamer
For young gamers in Kenya, live streaming is the new frontier. It is a way to make money and also a way to connect with other gamers around the world. If you’re looking to get into live streaming, here are some tips to help you get started.
First, start by creating a channel on YouTube or Twitch. Then, start streaming your gameplay. Be sure to interact with your viewers and be friendly. You should also develop a following by promoting your stream on social media and other websites.
Finally, consider using a service like Streamlabs to accept donations from viewers. This can help you make money while streaming. Remember that it takes time and practice to become successful at live streaming, but it’s definitely worth it if you love gaming!
10). Photographer Or Videographer opportunity in Kenya
If you are looking for profitable business opportunities for youth in Kenya, videography and photography is worth considering.
If that sounds interesting, there are a few key things to keep in mind when looking to get into this kind of business in Kenya.
First, it is important to have a good portfolio to show potential clients.
The second is that it’s important to market yourself and your work.
And finally, it’s important to be able to work well with others and be willing to take direction. If you can keep these things in mind, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a successful photographer or videographer in Kenya.
11). Create An App Or Online Game
Creating an app or online game is a great option if you are looking for business opportunities in Kenya that have low overhead and don’t require much space.
See, one of the best things about creating an app or online game is that you don’t need to have any coding experience.
Yes, several platforms allow you to create your own games or apps without any programming knowledge. These platforms include GameSalad and AppMakr.
If you’re not familiar with these platforms, they allow you to create games or apps by dragging and dropping different elements into place.
12). Try Tutoring
Are you looking for a way to make money as a youth in Kenya? Why not start a tutoring business? Tutoring is one of the great business opportunities for youth in Kenya.
And it is perfect for those who are good with math and science and want to help others learn.
Tutoring is a great way to make money online in Kenya as a teen because you can set your own rates. You can also work as much or as little as you want. And the best part is that you can tutor students online or in person.
If you’re thinking about starting a tutoring business, here are a few tips:
- Decide what subjects you want to tutor. Most tutors specialize in math and science, but you can also tutor students in other subjects such as English, history, and French.
- Choose a name for your tutoring business. Your business name should be easy to remember and pronounce.
- Register your tutoring business with the government. This will allow you to operate legally and avoid any legal issues down the road.
- Create marketing materials such as flyers, posters, and website listings. Be sure to include your contact information and rates.
- Promote your tutoring business online and offline. You can use social media, word of mouth, or even print ads in local newspapers.
- Meet with potential students and their parents to discuss expectations and goals. This will help you determine if they fit your tutoring services well.
- Start tutoring your students and help them reach their academic goals!
This can work if you are in populated cities like Nairobi, Nakuru, and Mombasa because it is one of the untapped ideas in Kenya.
In conclusion, there are many investment opportunities for youth in Kenya to start their own businesses.
The seventeen businesses listed are just a few of the available options, and they are all businesses that should be successful in 2022.
Young entrepreneurs in Kenya should take advantage of these opportunities and work hard to make their businesses thrive.
Where can I invest as a youth in Kenya?
As a youth in Kenya, there are many ways to invest your money. You can open a savings account at a local bank or credit union and start putting away money each month. Investing in stocks and mutual funds is also an option, as well as investing in real estate or starting your own business.
If you’re looking for something more hands-on, you could consider investing in agricultural projects such as livestock farming or crop production. There are also government initiatives that provide financial assistance to young entrepreneurs who want to start their own businesses.
Also, microfinance institutions offer loans to small businesses and low-income individuals. No matter your investment type, it’s important to do your research and understand the risks involved before committing any money.
What is the cheapest business to start in Kenya?
Starting a business in Kenya can be a great way to build a sustainable and profitable enterprise. The good news is that there are plenty of options to choose from regarding the cheapest businesses to start in Kenya. From selling food items to offering consulting services, a variety of businesses won’t break the bank. So, if you’re feeling encouraged, informed, and perhaps a bit funny, here are some of the cheapest businesses to start in Kenya:
- Selling Food Items: This can be a great way to make money, and it doesn’t require a large investment in start-up capital. Setting up a small food stall in the market can be a lucrative way to make some money.
- Online Freelance Services: Numerous websites offer freelance writing, web design, and graphic design services. You can find several clients and make money by charging for your services.
- Consulting Services: If you have expertise in a certain field, such as finance or marketing, you can provide consulting services to businesses in need of assistance. There are always businesses looking for help in these areas, and you can charge a fee for your services.
- Event Planning: This is a great business to start if you have a flair for organization and can manage several tasks simultaneously. You can set up an event planning business and cater to weddings, parties, corporate events, and more.
These are just a few of the cheapest businesses to start in Kenya. With a bit of effort and creativity, you can get your business up and running in no time.