Are you ready to break free from the traditional office setup and embrace the endless possibilities of working remotely? If so, you’re in luck!
We have compiled a comprehensive guide of the 10 best online jobs in Kenya that not only offer flexible schedules but also pay by the hour.
Picture yourself sipping coffee at your favorite café while earning money from your laptop – sounds like a dream come true, right?
From freelance writing gigs to online tutoring opportunities, these jobs will allow you to take control of your time and finances.
So buckle up as we unveil the world of remote work where earning potential knows no bounds!
Here’s a list of 10 tried and tested online jobs that pay hourly in Kenya:
- Online tutoring
- Freelance writing
- Data entry
- Virtual assistance
- Affiliate marketing
- Social media management
- Web development
- Graphic design
Table of Contents
Table Showing Best Online Jobs that Pay Hourly in Kenya
|Job||Skills Needed||Income Potential||Work Style||Training Required|
|Online Tutoring||Teaching skills, subject matter expertise, communication||$15-50 USD per hour||Flexible hours, work per student session||Teaching degree/experience preferred|
|Freelance Writing||Strong writing, ability to research topics||$.03 – $.20 per word, $15-$50/hour||Flexible, project-based||Writing samples/portfolio|
|Transcription||Excellent listening skills, fast typing, attention to detail||$15-$30/audio hour starting||Ability to work independently through audio files||Transcription training courses useful|
|Translation||Fluency in multiple languages, writing skills||$.10-$.20 per word||Steady work translating documents||Relevant degrees/certifications preferred|
|Data Entry||Fast, accurate typing, computer skills||$.005-$.01 per field starting||Repetitive, high-volume work||Data entry certificate programs available|
|Virtual Assistance||Administrative skills, communication, time management||$15-$30/hour||Flexible, wide variety of tasks||Virtual assistant training helpful|
|Affiliate Marketing||Digital marketing skills, analytics||Commission-based||Entrepreneurial, work varies||Affiliate training programs|
|Social Media Management||Writing, graphic design, social media strategy||$15-$50/hour||Steady promotion and community management||Social media certifications|
|Web Development||Coding expertise in languages and frameworks||$20-$100+/hour||Project-based||Coding courses, portfolio essential|
|Graphic Design||Visual design skills, creativity||Varies per project||Client work varies||Graphic design degree preferred|
Online tutoring has become a popular way for students to get additional academic support and for tutors to earn extra income working from home.
Here is an overview of online tutoring jobs and how to get started as an online tutor in Kenya.
Overview of Online Tutoring
- Flexible schedule – Tutors can often set their own hours and work according to their own availability. This is ideal for those with other commitments.
- Work from anywhere – As long as you have a computer and internet connection, online tutoring allows you to work from the comfort of your home.
- Variety of subjects – Tutors are needed for many subjects including:
- Test Prep (SAT, ACT, GRE, etc)
- Computer skills
- Supplemental income – Online tutoring provides a means of earning extra money in addition to a primary job or for students. Typical hourly rates for tutors range from $15-50 USD per hour.
How to Become an Online Tutor in Kenya
Here are some tips for those interested in starting to tutor online:
- Determine subjects – Focus on subjects you are very familiar with and passionate about. The most popular requests are for math, science, and test prep tutors.
- Get qualified – Most tutoring services require proof of expertise such as teaching certificates or formal tutoring experience. Degrees in your tutoring subjects are also evidence of knowledge.
- Build a profile – Create an online profile highlighting your qualifications, experience, subjects, and availability. Include a photo and intro video for a personalized touch.
- Apply to tutoring platforms – Some top companies hiring online tutors include Varsity Tutors, Chegg Tutors, Tutor.com, and Wyzant. Apply to create an account.
- Pass screening – You will need to pass background checks and some platforms have entrance exams or mock sessions.
- Set schedule – Once approved, set your availability and start accepting sessions based on your schedule. Communicate with students through built-in messaging and video chat platforms.
- Get paid – Make sure to set your hourly rates. Most platforms pay tutors directly and handle all billing and payment processing.
With the flexibility, earning potential, and ability to make an impact on students, online tutoring can be a fulfilling remote job option in Kenya and beyond.
Freelance Writing in Kenya
Freelance writing provides the opportunity to earn income by writing articles, blog posts, social media content, and more from home. Here is an overview of getting started with freelance writing jobs in Kenya:
Types of Freelance Writing
There are diverse writing opportunities including:
- Blog articles – Topics range from special interests like travel to technical subjects. Length ranges from 500-1500+ words.
- Web content – Creating well-written website content like “About Us” descriptions.
- Social media – Crafting social media posts and managing accounts for brands.
- Marketing – Writing compelling copy for ads, newsletters, brochures, emails, etc.
- Journalism – Freelance journalists/reporters cover news stories for publications.
- Ghost writing – Anonymously authoring books, articles, stories under someone else’s name.
- Translation – Translating content like websites into other languages.
- Research – Conduct research and create reports on various topics.
Getting Started as a Freelance Writer in Kenya
Follow these tips to start a freelance writing side hustle:
- Pick your niche – Identify your area of expertise to offer specialized writing services.
- Build a portfolio – Create sample articles and content to demonstrate your skills. A website or blog is a great portfolio.
- Promote yourself – Make a profile on freelance job sites like Upwork and Freelancer.com.Utilize social media to get the word out.
- Pitch clients – Reach out to potential clients explaining your services and samples. Creating a media kit can help with pitches.
- Set rates – Determine your pricing structure. Options include per word, per hour, per project. Average freelance writing rates range from $.03 – $.20 per word.
- Sign contracts – Establish agreements and payment schedules for large projects.
- Submit quality work – Provide well-written content, meeting deadlines to build your reputation.
- Get paid – Invoice clients and follow up on payments in a timely manner.
With strong writing skills and self-motivation, freelance writing can provide excellent remote work opportunities in Kenya.
Transcription in Kenya
Transcription involves converting audio or video recordings into written formats. Here is an overview of transcription work and how to become a freelance transcriptionist:
Types of Transcription Jobs in Kenya
Some common transcription opportunities include:
- General transcription – Converting general audio files from meetings, interviews, speeches etc into text documents.
- Legal transcription – Transcribing recordings from legal contexts like court proceedings, attorney-client meetings. Requires understanding of legal terms.
- Medical transcription – Transcribing patient medical records and doctor notes. Must have medical knowledge.
- Media transcription – Creating text versions of media content like podcasts, television shows.
- Call center transcription – Transcribing recorded calls between customers and call center representatives.
To be successful in transcription work, having these skills is vital:
- Excellent listening comprehension
- Proficient typing abilities
- Familiarity with transcription software
- Good grasp of grammar and language mechanics
- Ability to understand context and nuances
- Research skills to fill in gaps
- Attention to detail and accuracy
Getting Started as a Transcriptionist in Kenya
Follow these tips to begin a transcription side hustle:
- Get transcription training – Take courses to improve typing speed and learn transcription techniques.
- Invest in equipment – Have a quiet workspace, comfortable headset, foot pedal, and transcription software like Express Scribe.
- Build your resume – Highlight any prior transcription experience even if volunteer work. List strengths like WPM typing speed.
- Earn certifications – Getting certified in areas like medical or legal transcription can open more job opportunities.
- Join job sites – Register on sites like TranscribeMe, Rev, GoTranscript to find work as a beginner.
- Promote your services – Create a website showcasing your transcription skills and expertise to directly pitch clients.
- Set your rates – Determine a per audio hour or per page rate. New transcribers often charge $.75 to $1.50 per audio minute.
- Manage your time – Allow 3-4 times the audio length for transcription. Work efficiently to maximize income.
Freelance transcription leverages your specialized listening and writing skills. With some effort, it can become a steady remote work opportunity.
Translation involves converting text from one language into another. Here is an overview of translation as a remote work opportunity and how to get started:
Some fields requiring translators include:
- Technical – Software, apps, websites, manuals etc.
- Legal – Contracts, patents and legal documents.
- Medical – Consent forms, prescriptions, research surveys.
- Business – Marketing materials, presentations, emails and internal communications.
- Media – Books, movies, newspapers, magazine articles.
Becoming a Translator in Kenya
Here are tips for building a career in translation:
- Be fluent in multiple languages – Native level fluency is required in at least 2 languages, one being English. In-demand languages are Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, Russian.
- Gain qualifications – Degrees in translation, linguistics or demonstrated bilingual proficiency strengthen your resume.
- Specialize – Focus on developing expertise in one field like legal or medical. Obtain certificates or training in that field.
- Utilize technology – Learn how to use Computer Assisted Translation (CAT) tools that aid translators. Examples include SDL Trados, MemoQ, Memsource.
- Build a portfolio – Create sample translations to showcase and demonstrate your translation abilities.
- Earn accreditations – Getting accredited as a translator by the American Translators Association lends credibility.
- List your services – Create profiles on translator job sites like ProZ, TranslatorsCafe, Upwork. Promote your skills on social media.
- Set rates – Determine your fees per word or per hour. Average professional translation rates range $.10 – $.20 per word.
- Manage projects – Translate efficiently to complete on schedule. Utilize quality assurance steps.
With attention to detail and language skills, professional translation can be a rewarding work from home opportunity worldwide.
Data entry involves inputting information into digital formats for companies and databases. Here is an overview of data entry work and how to get started:
Types of Data Entry
Some common data entry positions include:
- Text-based entry – Typing text data from paper forms and documents into computer files and software programs.
- Image-based entry – Transferring handwritten, printed or signature information into digital formats.
- Audio entry – Listening to audio recordings and inputting the information into digital files.
- Online research – Searching the web for specific information and compiling it into spreadsheets or other documents.
- Product categorization – Organizing and tagging products with keywords on ecommerce sites.
- Receipt processing – Extracting information from receipts for expense reports and accounting.
- Data conversion – Converting data from one format like a PDF into another format like a spreadsheet.
Key Data Entry Skills
To be successful in data entry roles, these skills are important:
- Accurate typing abilities
- Proficiency with data entry software and databases
- Attention to detail and consistency
- Basic computer proficiency
- Organization and record keeping
- Ability to follow instructions precisely
- Comfort with repetitive tasks
- Research and analytical thinking
- Data confidentiality
Getting Started with Data Entry in Kenya
Here are some tips for starting to do freelance data entry work:
- Take skill assessment tests – Testing your typing speed, data entry speed and accuracy helps assess your skills.
- Seek relevant experience – Look for entry level data entry roles to gain experience even as a volunteer or intern.
- Consider specialized training – Some community colleges offer data entry and medical billing programs.
- Apply to online job boards – Websites like Upwork, Amazon Mturk, Clickworker and Remotasks post data entry work opportunities worldwide.
- Promote your services – Create a website, social media presence and online profiles to market your freelance data entry skills.
- Invest in tools – Having a comfortable workspace, ergonomic equipment and fast typing practices helps optimize productivity.
- Set competitive rates – Research typical pricing for your region, often $.005 -.01 per field of data entered as a beginner.
- Build your reputation – Earn positive reviews by delivering fast, accurate and secure data entry services.
With solid typing skills and attention to detail, data entry can be a reliable source for part time or full time income working from home.
Virtual Assistance in Kenya
Another one of the best online jobs that pay hourly in Kenya.
As a virtual assistant (VA) you can provide administrative, technical, or creative support services to clients remotely. Here is an overview of becoming a freelance VA:
Types of Virtual Assistance Services in Kenya
Some common tasks VAs handle include:
- Administrative Support – Calendar management, email handling, meeting coordination
- Marketing – Managing social media, writing newsletters
- Customer Service – Communicating with clients, handling inquiries
- Web Services – Updating websites, basic technical troubleshooting
- Design Services – Creating graphics, presentations, documents
- Travel Planning – Booking accommodations, arranging travel
- Research – Conducting market research, competitive analysis
- Transcription – Converting audio to text documents
Key Virtual Assistant Skills in Kenya
To succeed as a VA, these skills are beneficial:
- Organization and time management
- Communication and client service
- Proficiency with software/tools like MS Office, Google Workspace, project management systems
- Flexibility and ability to learn quickly
- Discipline to work independently
- Task management and prioritization
- Basic technical troubleshooting
- Creativity and problem solving
Getting Started as a Virtual Assistant in Kenya
Some tips for starting a career as a VA:
- Determine your service offerings based on your strengths and skills. You can expand services over time.
- Build up any technical skills that will add value. Virtual assistant training programs can help prepare you.
- Develop a website, online profiles and portfolio showcasing your services and expertise.
- Register on sites like UpWork and Fiverr to access a global customer base as you build experience.
- Define your rates and payment terms. Common starting rates are $15-$30/hour.
- Reach out to other virtual assistants and businesses in your network.
- Leverage social media to promote your services and brand.
- Focus on reliability, transparency and communication to earn great reviews.
- Utilize tools like Zoom, Trello, Slack, Google Drive to collaborate effectively.
Virtual assistance allows professionals to offer their administrative skills and grow thriving location-independent careers helping clients worldwide.
Affiliate Marketing in Kenya
This is another one of the best online jobs that pay hourly in Kenya!
Affiliate marketing represents an opportunity to earn commissions by promoting products or services online. Here is an overview of getting started with affiliate marketing in Kenya:
How Affiliate Marketing Works in Kenya
Affiliate marketing is based on revenue sharing between brands (advertisers) and affiliate partners:
- Advertisers offer financial incentives to affiliates for driving actions like sales or leads.
- Affiliates then promote these products/services and get a commission when site visitors click, sign up, purchase etc.
- Popular commission structures include:
- Pay per click – Earn per click to advertiser’s site
- Pay per sale – Earn % of any sales generated
- Pay per lead – Earn per email sign-ups, downloads etc.
- Affiliates often join affiliate networks that connect them with brands and provide tracking tools.
Getting Started with Affiliate Marketing in Kenya
Tips to become a successful affiliate marketer in Kenya:
- Choose a niche – Promote products within a specific niche you are passionate about like tech, fashion, beauty. Offering specialized promotions is more compelling.
- Create a website – Build a site focused on your niche to start driving an audience. Content can include product reviews, usage tips, comparisons.
- Select products – Find relevant advertiser affiliate programs with appealing commission rates and join.
- Promote offers – Drive traffic to your website using strategies like SEO, social media, paid ads. Recommend products naturally within content.
- Utilize links – Share affiliate links and trackable discount codes. Leverage link cloaking for better aesthetics.
- Go beyond content – Also promote through email, communities, influencers.
- Analyze performance – Use affiliate platform insights to see which promotions convert best. Refine your approach over time.
- Comply with regulations – Ensure transparency through disclaimers about affiliate relationships as required.
With the ability to work flexibly from home, affiliate marketing can be a rewarding way for influencers, content creators and entrepreneurs to monetize online audiences in Kenya.
Social Media Management in Kenya
Social media management involves handling branding, engagement and promotions for businesses on social platforms.
Here is an overview of providing social media services as a virtual freelancer in Kenya:
Types of Social Media Services in Kenya
Typical social media tasks freelancers handle include:
- Creating content calendars and campaigns
- Developing social media graphics and assets
- Drafting social media posts and captions
- Engaging daily with target audiences by liking, commenting, sharing
- Running ads and promoting posts
- Monitoring conversations and sentiment
- Analyzing performance using metrics and generating reports
- Providing customer service and managing inquiries
- Coordinating contests, partnerships and influencer collaborations
- Making recommendations to enhance strategy
Key Skills for Social Media Managers in Kenya
To succeed as a social media freelancer, these skills are essential:
- Strong writing and content creation abilities
- Graphic design and visual content creation skills
- Understanding of social media platforms and best practices
- Ability to identify trends and opportunities
- Project management and communication skills
- Analytical thinking
- Digital marketing knowledge
Getting Started as a Social Media Freelancer in Kenya
Here are some tips for starting a social media management side business in Kenya:
- Build a portfolio showcasing your social media work and skills across different platforms.
- Get hands-on experience by managing your own social media accounts and experimenting with different techniques and content formats.
- Earn social media marketing certifications to demonstrate your expertise. Examples include Hootsuite, HubSpot, Google, Meta Blueprint.
- Familiarize yourself with social media management tools like Hootsuite, Sprout Social, Buffer to maximize efficiency.
- Determine your service offerings and pricing – you can charge per platform, per hour, per post, on monthly retainer.
- Create profiles on freelance marketplaces like Upwork and Fiverr.
- Reach out to local businesses in your network that need social media help. Offer discounted rates to build your portfolio and get reviews.
- Promote your social media services through your own website and social channels.
- Deliver excellent customer service and demonstrate performance through reporting.
- Continue educating yourself on latest social media best practices and trends.
With the right mix of skills and strategy, social media management offers an opportunity to build a location-independent social media career helping brands expand their reach and engage with audiences.
Web Development in Kenya
Web development involves building, creating, and maintaining websites and applications.
Here is an overview of getting started with freelance web development from home in Kenya:
Types of Web Development Skills in Kenya
Some key skillsets in demand:
- Backend web development – Writing server-side logic and integrating databases using languages like PHP, Python, Java, C#.
- WordPress development – Building and customizing WordPress sites and themes.
- Ecommerce development – Creating online stores and shopping cart functionality using platforms like Shopify.
- Mobile development – Building mobile apps for iOS and Android. Requires knowledge of Swift, Objective-C, Java.
Getting Started as a Web Developer
Tips for beginning a freelance web development career working remotely:
- Pick your focus – Determine the type of web development you want to specialize in based on your skillset and interests.
- Build a portfolio – Create sample websites and applications that demonstrate your abilities. Open source contributions also build credibility.
- Master in-demand skills – Learn web development frameworks like React, Angular, Django, and tools like Git, Node.js, MySQL.
- Earn certifications – Complete accredited programs and courses to validate your skills.
- Get hands-on experience – Take on volunteer web projects for non-profits to gain experience if needed.
- Setup an online presence – Have a personal website and profiles on freelancing sites like Toptal, Upwork, Fiverr to attract clients.
- Find your first clients – Start with small businesses in your network in need of websites. Offer discounted rates in exchange for referrals and reviews.
- Set project pricing – Determine how to charge – options include hourly, fixed fee, monthly retainer. Average freelance developer rates range $20-$100+/hour.
- Manage remote work – Utilize project management systems, video calls, collaboration tools and be communicative to effectively work with remote clients.
With demand for digital skills growing, freelance web development is a promising opportunity for tech professionals to work flexibly from anywhere.
Graphic design involves visually communicating ideas and messages through graphics, layouts, images and other elements.
Here is an overview of freelance graphic design work:
Types of Graphic Design Projects
Some common projects graphic designers work on:
- Business cards & stationery
- Marketing materials like brochures, flyers
- Social media graphics and posts
- Website layouts and UI design
- Book & ebook covers
- Banners and signage
- Newsletters and email templates
Key Graphic Design Skills
To succeed as a freelance graphic designer, these skills are beneficial:
- Creativity and visual communication abilities
- Proficiency with design software like Adobe Creative Suite – Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- Strong typography and layout skills
- Knowledge of branding and marketing principles
- Ability to work with clients and bring ideas to life
- Understanding of print production and requirements
- Web design skills like UI/UX design
- Video editing capabilities
Getting Started Freelancing in Graphic Design
Tips to begin providing graphic design services:
- Build up a powerful portfolio website showcasing your best work and client projects.
- Take on small volunteer design projects to gain experience and samples.
- Learn how to scope and estimate projects accurately.
- Define your pricing structure – charge per project, per hour or offer packages.
- Promote your services – create profiles on freelance sites, use social media, offer free resources and advice to attract clients.
- Focus on building long term relationships and repeat business by delivering excellent service.
- Continue developing your skills and following trends through courses, tutorials, design blogs/podcasts.
- Invest in essential software and tools like Adobe Creative Cloud, invoicing systems, project management tools, and ergonomic equipment.
- Set up a home office environment conducive to productivity and creativity.
Graphic design is a versatile skillset enabling creative professionals to work flexibly with clients all over the world.
- There are a variety of tried and tested online jobs that pay hourly in Kenya like tutoring, freelance writing, transcription, translation, data entry, virtual assistance, affiliate marketing, social media management, web development and graphic design.
- Most online freelancing work allows professionals to set their own schedule and work flexibly from home once they have the right skills and portfolio.
- Building a strong profile, getting hands-on experience even volunteering, earning certifications, investing in tools, and actively marketing services can help begin an online freelancing career.
- Freelancing sites like Upwork, Fiverr and Freelancer make it easier to find clients worldwide but professionals can also directly pitch clients in their network or promote through their own website and social channels.
- Setting competitive rates, delivering excellent work, communicating effectively and focusing on client satisfaction helps to build reputation and earn ongoing remote work.
Kenya has opportunities for starting online freelancing careers in diverse fields like writing, virtual assistance, web development and more.
Building skills and experience in your chosen field along with an impressive online profile are key to getting hired remotely.
Many global sites and direct client outreach offer avenues for finding freelance work.
Working hard, meeting deadlines, communicating effectively and delivering high quality work is critical for succeeding as an online freelancer.
Freelancing can offer professionals fantastic location flexibility, income potential and career growth prospects.