Last updated on February 25th, 2023 at 10:25 am
In today’s article, I will show you how to make money on Instagram in Kenya.
In fact, these are the same strategies most influencers use to rake in thousands of shillings per month without actually doing anything.
But first, does it make sense to venture into IG now?
As they say, numbers don’t lie.
Let’s look at Instagram users in Kenya (source: Statista.com).
As of April 2022, there were 1.68 million Instagram users in Kenya.
And most of them are men, making up 51.9% of all Kenyan Instagram users.
How about age?
Well, most of them fall between 18 to 24 (630 000 to be exact).
Why am I telling you this?
These Instagram statistics in Kenya will majorly inform what strategies you to make money on IG.
If you are going to start selling products, you now know that over half of the IG users in Kenya are men.s
This means you have higher odds of success when dealing with men’s products.
With that said, let’s look at how to make money on Instagram in Kenya.
How Instagram works
Before making money with IG in Kenya, you must understand how the platform works.
An algorithm powers IG.
The Instagram algorithm is a system that determines what content users see on their Instagram feed. The algorithm uses various factors to determine the order of posts on a user’s feed, including:
- Relevance: Instagram looks at a post’s relevance to a user’s interests and behavior on the platform.
- Engagement: Instagram considers the number of likes, comments, and shares a post receives, as well as the speed at which these actions occur.
- Timeliness: Instagram prioritizes newer posts over older ones, making users more likely to see recently posted posts.
- Relationship: Instagram considers the relationship between a user and the person or brand that posted the content. Users are more likely to see posts from accounts they interact with frequently.
- Usage: Instagram considers how much time users spend on the platform and how often they open the app when deciding which posts to show.
The Instagram algorithm works by analyzing these factors to determine which posts are most likely to be relevant and engaging for each user.
This means that the order of posts on a user’s feed may differ from another user’s feed, even if they follow the same accounts.
The algorithm constantly learns from users’ behavior and feedback, which may change over time as Instagram introduces new features or updates.
How Does Instagram pay in Kenya?
Many of those aspiring to make money wonder if Instagram pay in Kenya.
The amount of money you will earn on Instagram in Kenya depends on the number of followers and the engagement rate.
This means that the more followers you have, the higher your chances of making more money.
Now, other studies show a different picture.
For instance, a study conducted back in 2019 by a UK-based firm showed that Instagram influencers earn between KES 13,000 and KES 100,000 per sponsored post.
Now, these numbers vary depending on the number of followers and engagement rate.
If you have between 10K and 100K followers on Instagram in Kenya, expect to earn upwards of KES 2K per post.
As you can guess, there is no exact number to say, this is how much Instagram pays in Kenya.
Does instagram pay in Kenya?
Instagram does not pay users in Kenya directly, but there are ways to make money through Instagram in Kenya. One way is to become an influencer and work with brands to promote their products and services.
Brands may offer you money for each post you make or pay you a lump sum for a series of posts.
Additionally, you can create your own online store and sell merchandise related to your Instagram account. Lastly, you can join affiliate programs and make a commission for each sale you generate.
How to make money on Instagram in Kenya
Here, I will teach you three proven strategies you can implement now and be on your way to earning your first shilling on Instagram in Kenya.
Remember, these are just strategies, they don’t work if you don’t.
So, I expect you to be a self-motivated person (i mean, you are here right? You should know a thing or two about taking initiatives).
Strategy 1: Post Sponsored Content
When you hear IG, I bet the first thing on your mind is ‘Instagram influencers in Kenya.’
Yes, you can make money on Instagram by posting sponsored content.
Here, brands approach you to post or endorse their products on your account.
And in return, they compensate you for the ‘little’ work you did. I mean, you’ve been using Instagram, right?
Have you been posting?
What is so hard or special about this that you can’t give it a try?
Well, not so fast cowboy!
First, for this to work, you have to be a good marketer.
In other words, this strategy is for you if you’re good at making strangers on the internet like and trust you.
How do you get started?
I wrote an article here on how to become a social media influencer in Kenya. I suggest you go read it if this strategy interests you.
But basically, this is what you need to do;
How to get started
- Pick a niche. A niche is a specific market or that special group of people you will be talking to. For example; if you love fashion, you can focus on building an account on kids’ fashion. Why? Because that is how to grow fast and earn more, more on this later
- You need sizable followers on Instagram. Yes, no one will even look at you with your 100 followers. You need at least 5K followers for this to work.
- Once you have the followers, the next thing is working on engagement. Having 10K followers and only getting 10 comments and likes is weird. You need engagements to make money on Instagram in Kenya (and this is the secret, continue reading to find out more).
- Approach brands to sponsor your account. This should be easy if you have a targeted audience. For example; you go to Kids’ brands and present to them your numbers. And if they are good, there is no way they going to pass your proposal. Sometimes if you are really good, they will come to you.
Now, there are a couple of things I want you to know;
First, you need a niche.
Make sure you pick the perfect market.
The secret is to go with a market that consists of people who spend money. A good example is the babies market. Mothers are always looking for the best products.
Also, brands are always coming up with new products and new entrants into the industry. This means that the competition is high, thus needs to spend more on capturing the market.
Secondly, build your engagement.
With competitive engagement rates, you don’t need thousands of followers on Instagram to make money in Kenya and get paid through MPESA.
Strategy 2: Be an affiliate marketer
This is another strategy if you are still interested in learning how to make money on Instagram in Kenya.
Unlike being an IG influencer, this strategy is less about spreading awareness and more about making sales.
Because you only make money when your followers actually buy the product.
On the positive side, you don’t need to worry about producing that product or fulfilling orders as an affiliate marketer.
You must promote the product on your account and wait for commissions to roll in.
Is that easy?
Well, not exactly.
I wish it was that easy to make money as an affiliate in Kenya. But there are some things you can do to make it easier.
What comes into your mind when you hear ‘affiliate marketing in Kenya?’
Promising you 7K-10K per week and a life full of champagne and classic cars.
Well, I don’t blame you.
Affiliate marketing in Kenya has received a bad rap.
But if you take time to learn it, you will figure it is one of the most promising ways of marketing online.
All you have to do is recommend your favorite phones, or mascara, or shoes, and provide either a link to buy the product or get a promo code with a small discount.
Here, both the link and promo code are unique to you, so the seller (owner of the product) can track sales back to your efforts. You earn a fee or percentage for every sale (commission).
How to get started
- Like being an IG influencer in Kenya, you need to pick a niche. But unlike it, here, you can focus more on the material needs of the audience. For example, you can go in running shoes for men. You are more of a product reviewer.
- Look for sellers within your niche. If you have created an account targeting dog lovers, look for affiliate programs under this niche.
- Start posting about the product. Letting people know you are an affiliate is a good practice.
What I see most people do in Kenya is going to places like Jumia, sign up as affiliates, and start promoting products.
All you have to do is pick a product category, for example; you can start an IG account about ladies’ accessories.
Strategy 3: Selling your own products
This is another one of the best ways to make money on Instagram in Kenya.
The strategy goes beyond just marketing on Instagram in Kenya.
It involves more eCommerce in Kenya, meaning you will need an online store.
How do get started
First, you need to decide on the product.
Two things here;
You can either create/manufacture your own product. Here, you must first figure out what type of product you’d wish to sell.
And then get down to creating it.
Alternatively, just find an existing product, source it, and sell it on Instagram in Kenya.
Look at what @Size8Reborn did.
She started her hair business in Kenya.
And I bet it’s working really well for her.
She already got followers, so it should be easy for her gaining customers.
Once you have identified the product, what is next?
- Pick a platform – this is where customers can order your product. If you are selling physical products, go ahead and open an online store. You can either create a website, or use marketplaces like Jumia.
- Start promoting your product on your accounts
- Fulfill orders and handle customer service very well.
A good example of a business you can start on Instagram in Kenya is sourcing products from Alibaba.com.
You can start importing ladies’ handbags.
Look at this one;
You can pay KES 500 per piece and get 100 pieces. That is 50K and logistics, say you end up paying KES 80K.
Now, come and sell the same at KES 2500. Do the math.
Wrapping up making money on Instagram in Kenya
These are the best ways to make money on IG in Kenya.
Pick the one you like and run away with it.
If you want to learn how to make money on Facebook in Kenya, here is a guide I created.
SUMMARY: proven ways to Make Money on Instagram in Kenya
- Sponsored posts: You can earn money by promoting brands’ products or services on your Instagram account. Brands will pay you to post about their products or services on your Instagram account.
- Affiliate marketing: You can also earn money by promoting other people’s products or services and earning a commission on sales through your unique affiliate link.
- Sell products: If you have a product or service, you can use Instagram to reach your target audience and increase your sales.
- Sponsored events: You can earn money by promoting events sponsored by brands or organizations. This could include events like product launches, music concerts, and other similar events.
- Influencer marketing: If you have a large following on Instagram, you can become an influencer and earn money by promoting brands’ products or services.
- Brand ambassadorship: Brands may offer you an opportunity to become their brand ambassador, promoting their products or services long-term, in exchange for compensation.
- Photography: If you are a professional photographer, you can use Instagram to showcase your work and attract clients for your services.
- Social media management: You can also offer these services to businesses and individuals looking to increase their social media presence.
Woow this is Soo helpful looking forward to more
Hello Winny, glad you found it helpful.
I find this informative and helpful on my strategies. Keep them coming.
Hello Chrispine, am glad you found it helpful