Last updated on July 6th, 2023 at 06:38 am
Are you passionate about writing and wondering if you can turn it into a lucrative career in Kenya?
The good news is that online writing can offer you a flexible and potentially profitable way to earn a living.
In this article, we’ll explore the average pay rates for various types of online writing in Kenya, as well as provide you with some tips on how to maximize your earning potential.
So, let’s dive in and answer the burning question: “How much does online writing pay in Kenya?”
Table of Contents
Average Pay Rates for Different Types of Online Writing in Kenya
The average hourly rate for online writers in Kenya falls within the range of $5 to $15. However, it’s important to note that the actual amount you can earn will depend on several factors, including your experience, the type of writing you do, and the platform you use.
Here’s a breakdown of the average pay rates for different types of online writing in Kenya:
1. Academic Writing: $5-10 per page
Academic writing involves researching and writing essays, research papers, and other academic assignments. Due to its technical nature and the demand from students, academic writing tends to command higher rates compared to other types of writing.
2. Article Writing: $5-15 per 1,000 words
Article writing involves crafting informative and engaging content for websites, blogs, magazines, and other publications. The pay rate for article writing can vary depending on factors such as complexity, word count, and the client’s budget.
3. Blog Writing: $5-10 per blog post
Blog writing entails creating content for blogs that cover a wide range of topics, from personal stories to professional advice. The pay rate for blog writing can vary depending on the client’s requirements and your level of expertise.
4. Copywriting: $10-20 per 1,000 words
Copywriting involves writing persuasive and compelling content for marketing materials, advertisements, product descriptions, and more. As copywriting requires specialized skills, it often commands higher rates than other types of writing.
5. Technical Writing: $15-25 per 1,000 words
Technical writing involves producing documentation, manuals, and guides that explain complex concepts in a clear and concise manner. Given its technical nature and specific knowledge requirements, technical writing tends to pay higher rates.
When considering online writing as a career option in Kenya, it’s crucial to take into account the cost of living.
The cost of living in Kenya is relatively low compared to many other countries. As a result, even a modest income from online writing can provide a comfortable lifestyle.
For instance, let’s say you earn $5 per hour as an online writer. If you work 40 hours per week, you would earn $200. Considering the lower cost of living, this income can cover your basic needs and even allow you to save.
Tips to Increase Your Earning Potential as an Online Writer in Kenya
If you’re looking to maximize your earning potential as an online writer in Kenya, here are some helpful tips to consider:
1. Build Your Experience
Experience is a valuable asset in the online writing world. The more experience you have, the more you can command higher rates.
Start by writing as much as you can, whether it’s for personal projects, volunteer opportunities, or low-paying gigs. Build up your portfolio to showcase your skills and attract higher-paying clients.
2. Specialize in a Niche
Specializing in a particular niche can set you apart from other writers and allow you to charge premium rates. By becoming an expert in a specific industry or topic, you can offer specialized knowledge and cater to clients who are willing to pay a premium
for your expertise.
3. Network with Other Writers
Networking is key to finding new opportunities and expanding your client base. Connect with other writers in your field, either through online communities, social media platforms, or local writing groups. Building relationships with fellow writers can lead to referrals and collaborations, opening doors to higher-paying jobs.
4. Use the Right Platforms
Utilize online platforms that connect writers with clients seeking their services. Here are a few popular platforms where you can find writing jobs and increase your chances of landing high-paying gigs:
- Upwork: Upwork is a leading freelance platform where you can find a wide range of writing jobs, from blog posts to articles to website content.
- Fiverr: Fiverr is another popular freelance platform that allows you to offer your services for as low as $5 per gig. It’s a great starting point for beginners in the writing industry.
- Guru: Guru is a freelance platform similar to Upwork, providing a variety of writing opportunities. You can set your own rates and showcase your skills to potential clients.
- Freelancer: Freelancer is another platform that offers diverse writing jobs. Set your own rates and explore the vast array of writing opportunities available.
- Kuhustle: If you’re specifically looking for local writing jobs in Kenya, Kuhustle is a Kenyan-based freelance platform that connects writers with local clients.
- Nerdy Turtlez: Nerdy Turtlez is a Kenyan-based website that offers writing jobs for both local and international clients, giving you access to a broader market.
- Listverse: Listverse is a website that publishes lists on various topics. You can submit your lists, and if accepted, you’ll receive a small fee for your contribution.
- Vibrant Life: Vibrant Life is a website focusing on health and wellness topics. Submitting articles to Vibrant Life can earn you a small fee if your article gets accepted.
These platforms serve as excellent starting points to find writing jobs and establish your reputation as a skilled writer.
Additional Tips for Finding Writing Jobs in Kenya
In addition to using online platforms, here are a few more tips to help you find writing jobs in Kenya:
- Network with Other Writers: As previously mentioned, building connections with fellow writers can lead to job opportunities through referrals or collaborations. Engage with writers in your field, attend local writing events, and join relevant online communities.
- Attend Writing Conferences: Writing conferences offer valuable opportunities to learn new skills, gain industry insights, and meet potential clients. Keep an eye out for writing conferences held in Kenya throughout the year and make an effort to attend.
- Build Your Portfolio: Create a portfolio of your best writing samples to showcase your skills and expertise. A well-curated portfolio can make a strong impression on potential clients and increase your chances of landing writing gigs.
- Persistence Pays Off: Don’t be discouraged if you don’t find a writing job immediately. Keep honing your writing skills, submitting your work, and networking with industry professionals. With persistence and determination, you’ll eventually find the right opportunities.
Online writing can be a rewarding career choice in Kenya, offering flexibility and the potential for a good income.
The average pay rates for online writers in Kenya range from $5 to $15 per hour, depending on various factors such as experience, writing type, and platform used. With dedication, skill development, and strategic networking, you can maximize your earning potential as an online writer in Kenya.
Remember to leverage online platforms like Upwork, Fiverr, Guru, Freelancer, Kuhustle, Nerdy Turtlez, Listverse, and Vibrant Life to find writing opportunities that suit your expertise. Additionally,
network with other writers, attend conferences, build your portfolio, and persist in your pursuit of writing jobs. By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to a successful and rewarding career in online writing in Kenya.
So, if you’ve been wondering, “How much does online writing pay in Kenya?”—now you have the answer. It’s time to unleash your writing skills and embark on an exciting journey in the world of online writing.
Happy writing and best of luck in your endeavors!